Wicked as They Come - Delilah S. Dawson
3.8

Criminy Stain is the man. End of story. Warm, strong, protective, deadly and downright sexy, he is everything you could want in a fictional steampunk-ish hero.

Tish Everett is perhaps the most annoying heroine I've come across in awhile and yet she somehow makes Crim's character better. She had her TSTL moment about thirty pages before the end and I was surprised it hadn't taken her sooner. I found her to be selfish, greedy and not very compassionate. It's almost as if she is encased in batting and there is very little emotion to connect to when I read her. She didn't seem as lively as Crim or any of the other characters in the book and at times I wondered if her passivity was just a way to cope with the strange world of if she was so emotionally battered that this was how she sounded. As a narrator she was hard to connect to and at times she just made me want to slap her like going off on Crim when they were visiting Antonin.. Tish has so much potential it hurt. She came off whiny at times and bitch at others. I enjoyed her interactions with Crim but when we had to deal with her alone, I kept praying for a Crim scene.

All I know is that she bugged me especially when she goes around throwing threats and ultimatums. Telling Crim that she wouldn't stay with him regardless of the outcome and that she basically wants to have her cake and eat it too. I understand that she wants it back and I think that it was a good idea to undergo the quest to get it back but the way that she phrased it made me quirk an eyebrow

So, Tish wasn't my favorite character but when she wasn't being a bit of a punk, she was pretty funny. She definitely shaped up and became less moody and petulant toward the end of the book. She took some responsibility and saved the day, although I don't know if I'd be too keen on having my girlfriend switch back and forth between realities. What if she found someone else? I mean, Tish already had a weird love triangle happening with Casper and Crim, so who knows if she can be trusted. Also, having her cake and eating it too just sort of annoys me. It doesn't necessarily feel like it rings true. , and ok, so she may annoy me (all that potential to be a great heroine that just wasn't fulfilled!!) but Tish is still interesting enough that I'd read more about her.

Crim...well, he was amazing.

Anyhoo, this was a decently entertaining story and a pretty darn good debut.

This story is a cross between the Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland meets a ScyFy original movie. It's dark, it's gritty and it's funny as hell. It also has some smexy to it ;)