License to Ensorcell - Katharine Kerr
I really wanted to like this book. I was excited and I almost bought the second one.

But I didn't.

So I saved money.

It's the writing. The plot had promise, the world building seemed like it was gonna be exciting but then we got to the dialogue and the weird tenses. One minute the heroine is saying that "then I just assumed he meant this but later on I would find out I was wrong." NO! I don't want to know now that this little tidbit of information is incorrect, I'll find out later like the book had originally set me up to.

Also, the dialogue and use of language. At first I thought I was reading a translation.

Ex (page 57): "Well, I'm sorry about that. I've been working into a new job..." Stop the presses. What's working into a new job? This isn't even Ari Nathan, the Israeli agent. Him I can understand. This is Nola. Born and bred American. Irish Catholic family.

That's not the first time that language was used oddly, but it's the first and best example I could come up with it. It successfully took me out of the world enough for me to anticipate another occurence.

To me the dialogue was stilted. If there was supposed to be chemistry between the two mains, I didn't feel it and I especially didn't feel it with their conversations. Nola comes off as a brat and Ari like a controlling anger ball.

I don't know at the end of the day I'm just glad I saved money on the sequel.