The Dark Enquiry - Deanna Raybourn
4.4

This installment lets the readers see a little bit more of Nicholas and also gives us a rounder impression of Julia and Nicholas' married life.

Though they argue about the same damn things and make up with the same loveliness, at first I thought I was going to bang my head against the wall with the "sameness". As a married woman I understood the argument and the stubbornness and the arguing but as a reader I was hoping something would give.

And it did; boy, was it glorious! They seem to have gotten into a groove and reached some sort of tacit agreement. It's like a rougher, more troubled, Nick and Nora Charles for the late 1800's set.

All I'm going to say about this (because this book just came out on Tuesday) was that it made me fall in love further with Julia and Brisbane. The end made me both sad the miscarriage that I suspected was coming. I didn't expect the barrenness but I did expect a pregnancy with a possibility of miscarrying and intrigued. I want to know more about Sir Morgan and Plum is becoming a hell of a lot more interesting.

If I had to some it up in three words: Intriguing. Suspenseful. Good.